The Native Sons Monument, by Douglas Tilden, was unveiled on September 5, 1897 to commemorate California’s admission into the Union. The angel that stands at the top of the monument holds an open book, inscribed with the date that California was granted its statehood: September 9, 1850.
ARG Conservation Services (ARG/CS) was contracted by the San Francisco Arts Commission (SFAC) to perform conservation treatments and graffiti abatement on the Admission Day Monument, also known as the Native Sons Monument, located in downtown San Francisco on Market Street at Post and Montgomery Streets.
The granite base of the monument suffered from general soiling and vandalism, while the bronze elements exhibited minor corrosion due to a failing protective lacquer coating and open joints in various locations of the sculptures. Graffiti abatement treatments were performed in early March 2016 by ARG/CS to remove minor vandalism and in-paint graffiti ghosting. No new vandalism was noted prior to work commencing on March 21, 2016. Overall, there are no structural concerns and the stone and bronze elements of the monument appear to be in good condition. All work performed was carried out in accordance with the American Institute for the Conservation of Historic and Artistic Work’s Code of Ethics and Guidelines for Practice.
Conservation and Graffiti Abatement
San Francisco Arts Commission
San Francisco, California
Finishes, Monuments, Sculptures